World Conference 2018
Get your discounted Ticket now!
Or start your research to submit your abstract.
Picture this :
- a line up of inspiring and knowledgeable speakers in the Surfing Medicine world today
- an academic platform where authentic research & public health projects can be presented
- the introduction of taskforce interest/specialty meetings to help translate Surfing Medicine into practice & your local surf community
- a gathering of friends and peers; from students to professors; groms – pro’s – masters
- a top class marine environment and location full of swell, stoke and surf culture
Dates: Mon 24th — Fri 28th September 2018
Location: Newquay, Cornwall, UK
- WCSM 2018 Program
- Full list of WCSM speakers
- Conference Fees 2018
- How to get there
- Where to surf?
- Submit your abstract
- Professor Mike Tipton knows everything there is to know about the physiological and psychological responses to adverse environments.
(alphabetical order by last name) Click on a speaker name to find out more!
- Matt Barlow: Senior Lecturer in Exercise Physiology, with a special interest in marine sports
- Tijs van Bezeij: water as therapy
- Delphine Besson: life experience on surfing with a neuromuscular disease.
- Olivier Chambres: ENT surgeon and long-standing SMI enthusiast
- Emily Currie: Stoked surfer who will represent GB during the olympics
- Hylmar Elsenga: Emergency Physician, lifeguard, driving force behind our Basic Surf Life Support course (BSLS)
- Markus Emerich: Traveler, surfer and a loves his work as Ear-Nose-Throat Surgery Resident and scientist
- Terry Farrell: Medical Director of the WSL big wave tour
- Roberto Gomez Tarle: Dermatologist and surfer, will update us on UV-related skin diseases
- Mischa Goettinger: Driving force behind the Surf Life Support Courses, SMI app developer, sports physician
- Loes Hanck: Addiction Medicine Specialist, will update us on substance abuse in athletes
- Nick Houndsfield: Expert on surfing in artificial environments
- Vibeke Hjortdal: Professor in Cardiothoracic Surgery (MD, PhD, DMSc)
- Takeshi Kojima: Orthopedic surgeon with a special interest in surfing injuries
- Anne Leonard: teaching us on antibiotic resistance in surfers
- Leon Meijer: Physiotherapist with a special interest in kitesurfing injuries
- Paddy Morgan: Trauma team leader and anaesthetist with a special interest in drowning
- Anton Page: Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), will update us on bystander rescue
- RNLI lifeguards: Get active and learn from the RNLI lifeguards in our beach workshop
- Hugo Tagholm: Chief executive for Surfers Against Sewage
Keep this page on refresh, as more and more speakers will be added to the list!
See you in september at the World Conference on Surfing Medicine!
Get your tickets NOW!
Submit your paper, poster or project before the 30/08/2018
The best research will be rewarded with great prices
► Learn more below
Learn about surfer’s health and safety, contribute to the development of surfing medicine, and celebrate with us what will be a key landmark in SMI’s history.
Following on from the success our Sagres conference in 2017, we now turn to look at Surfing Medicine’s position on the world stage. With more and more people surfing everyday and the introduction of our sport to the greatest sporting stage, The Olympics, surfer’s well-being has never been so important. Join us in Newquay to put your life saving skills to the test with our new and improved collection of hands on workshops, specifically designed for treating and caring for our friends in the surf. We will also be exploring hot topics of drowning resuscitation, UV exposure, recent environmental challenges, the professional surfer and many more. For the first time we will also hear from experts working in the field of ‘surfing and disability’, so there will be lots in store.
We will be providing a platform for your research or local project to be presented to a global network of health professionals. The Surfing Medicine conference is a place to connect, to be inspired by other professionals and to continue learning.
The SMI, together with your help, will be tackling head-on the one of the biggest challenges in surfing medicine – educating and training surfers in water safety. We want to continue the push to make surfers themselves the ‘lifeguards of the ocean’, and giving SURFERS the tools to make their surfing community as safe and accessible as possible for all.
The organisation has applied for accreditation for the event. Follow our social media for updates on the programme and keynote speakers.
We look forward to seeing you all on the shores of Cornwall, UK. See you in the line up!
Super Early Early Bird Regular Price Students € 100 € 150 € 200 Resident Doc
€ 200 € 250 € 300 Consultant Doc
€ 300 € 350 € 400
Early bird sales will finish the 1st of July.
Call For Abstracts
The SMI would like to invite all participants to send their abstracts for short presentations to us at email@example.com. We hope to you guys are stoked to present evidence based Surfing Medicine and to win the fantastic price for the best academic contribution to Surfing Medicine.
This year our science team will select out the best and most innovative research and invite them to take centre stage on the podium to share their work with the conference! So get your abstracts in to be in for the chance. The deadline for submissions is August 30th 2018
This year we are pleased to announce that the World Conference on Surfing Medicine has been granted 12 European CME credits (ECMEC®s) by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME®).
Want to earn your credits whilst having a great time? Join our conference now!